WAP’s mission is to abolish child marriage, promote the rights of women and girls, and work towards women’s economic empowerment.
WAP fulfills its mandate through holding advocacy campaigns on women’s human rights, providing training and leadership capacity-building workshops and facilitating economic empowerment for disadvantaged and marginalized women and girls in Zimbabwe.
We understand it may sound impossible to say that we can end child marriage, but we are confident that together we can do it.
The Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) prohibits child marriage and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) recognizes the right to free and full consent to marriage. Child marriage remains a growing threat to the basic human rights and protection of children in Zimbabwe, and calls for appropriate measures to be taken. Traditional practices which risk the health and rights of children, such as the right to freedom of expression and the right to protection from all forms of abuse, must be abolished and women must be empowered and supported.
Our Organizational Objectives
- Providing training and leadership capacity-building workshops.
- Facilitating economic empowerment for disadvantaged and marginalized women and girls in Zimbabwe.
- Promoting human rights, gender awareness and reproductive health awareness through advocacy campaigns, training and exchange.
- Coordinating and networking with other organizations with similar objectives in and outside Zimbabwe.
- Contributing to development research and publications on women and children in Zimbabwe.